Part 1 – Information
A flat lay is a type of still life photo shot top down (Birds Eye View).
Objects are arranged or organized in such a way that the viewer’s eye moves around the composition rather than settling on one focal point
A lot of flat lays center around a theme
Other flat lays tell a story or describe a person
We’re going on a Picnic
Skip to the 1:10 mark to begin….
Part 2 – Assignment
Your task is you design 2 different flat lays to photograph? They should have separate themes or tell different stories
4 Easy Steps
- Come up with a theme
- Choose a surface that adds to you photo (or at least doesn’t distract from it)
- Identify your light source
- Arrange your objects thoughtfully/ aesthetically
Step 1. – Come up with a theme
- Come up with more themes than you need
- Make lists of what you have available
Step 2. – Choose a surface that adds to you photo
(or at least doesn’t distract from it)
Here are just a few possibilities:
- Tiled floor
For added value you can have the background relate to the theme!
- Cooking theme > Cutting Board
- Beach theme > Towel
- Carpentry theme > Plywood or Cement floor
Step 3 – Plan your light source
A big window or glass door will work as well if not better than a lamp. You can also shoot outside!
4. Arrange your objects thoughtfully and aesthetically
Even if the objects are random organizing them in a pleasing way makes for a good image
Part 3 – Turn-in – Due May 8th
Commercial Photo 1 Students post your best 2 (TWO) images using your Schoology account assignment area. You will upload each one individually by choosing Re-Submit option.
Commercial Photo 2 & Practicum Students post your best 2 (TWO) images using your WIX account blog area. No text required.